Help PAL Stratford
 
Credit Card donation via PayPal
 
Donate via Canada Helps Donate Now Through CanadaHelps.org! Faire un don maintenant par CanadaHelps.org!
 
 
 
 

 
 
Deacon House: A short history

The building, known as Deacon House, was built by Dr. George Deacon in 1907, and is reflective of the Craftsman architectural movement, using natural building material, wood shingling, stucco, concrete and natural finished wood in simple, uncomplicated form. In 1987, the building was designated under the Ontario Heritage Act.

Dr. Deacon was one of Stratford’s most prominent physicians, and district surgeon to the Grand Trunk Railway. The doctor’s office was on the west side of the main floor and the patients’ entrance is still in evidence just off the driveway. Dr. Deacon was a pioneer in x-ray technology, and was the first to introduce it to Stratford.

George and Jeanette Deacon had four children: Benjamin, Arthur, Crosby and Louise. The Deacons’ were the second family in Stratford to own a motor car, an innovation that was disliked in the community because it frightened horses. George and Jeanette Deacon are buried in Avondale cemetery.


Click to apply to live here: applications@palstratford.org

Photo of Mrs. Deacon's car below is thanks to Vince Gratton.

 
   
Copyright © 2016 PAL Stratford (a chapter of PAL Canada)
Original web design and hosting donated in memory of former PAL board member Bruce Swerdfager.
Home page header images by Marg Boemer, Lynn Boehler, Amanda Ryan.
PAL Stratford logo design courtesy of Maxine Graham.